January 20 to February 14, 2014 NOMADS Project, Mercedes, MS

February 15 (Approximately) to June - Gate Guarding, TX or LA.

June, 2014 - Up to Alaska!

September - NOMADS Annual Meeting, Branson, MO



Friday, August 30, 2013

NJ to IL

La Salle,  Illinois

Finally back on the road.   We left NJ late Monday afternoon headed to the NOMADS (www.nomadsumc.org) annual meeting to be held Winnebago County Fairgrounds in Pecotonica, IL starting on Sunday.

We only drove about an hour then over-nighted at a rest area on I95 near North East, MD.  We did this to get an early start so to miss the traffic on the beltway around Baltimore.   That we did, getting up at 3:00 am.

Tuesday was a long drive day.   563 miles!   We don't usually do that many and frankly really don't know why we did.   From I95 we picked up I70 then I68 through the hills on MD and PA through WV and into Ohio.


Right over the Ohio line into Indiana we stayed from Tuesday afternoon until Thursday at a nice Passport America campground in Richmond, Indiana.


Our site was huge.


However, the weather was dreadful.   The hottest I've been all summer.  Temps in low 90's and very humid.  We took one short walk so did not see much of the campground.   We were impressed with the activity hall, restrooms and laundry.




There was a sparkling clean pool and a neat miniature (putt-putt)  golf course, neither of which we used.

Moving on we made it into Illinois mid afternoon on Thursday.


Our home for the night.


Flying J in LaSalle and about 80 miles left to the meeting destination.  

We are thinking we should have topped of the truck with diesel back in Indiana where we would have paid $3.79.  Here at the Flying J with our discount card we paid $4.01.   From what we see this is typical in this area.    We did get a deal on our dinner.  No cooking for me on travel days!  So Denny's it was.  On Thursday it's 25% off for Seniors.  I'll take it!

It's 2:20 am. and I can't sleep.  The noise of the traffic on the Interstate doesn't bother me but the lights in the parking lot do.    Getting tired - thinking I'll try again.   Good night........

6 comments:

Paul and Marsha Weaver OCT. 17, 2009 said...

563 miles...yuck!

That is a HUGE site. WOW!

Just saw a report on the TV...gas prices going to go up more...Great!

Rick said...

That first travel day was a very long one for sure. Thanks for getting up in the middle of the night to do a post.

owensontheroad said...

I usually don't have any problem sleeping at a Flying J due to the lights or noise. I get nervous when we are alone, and then in the middle of the night a truck pulls in beside us and I have to wait until he's all parked before I can go back to sleep. I know they're professional drivers..but I've seen my share of dopes!

JO said...

That was way to long of a drive for one day. Hope Len doesn't have a problem again. I think there is nasty hot and humid weather everywhere.

Phil and Rudee said...

you guys passed near by my old stomping grounds. Your post made me a little homesick, LOL. One thing about Indiana diesel prices, they advertise the price for "tax exempt trucks" when you fill up a personal vehicle the price will include the taxes and be about .25 cents (or more) additional per gallon.

Phil

Donna W. said...

yeah it was officially 102 here today with 87% humidity...nasty.
we always get gouged for gas during holiday, gas here went up 30 cents this week. Hope your insomnia gets better have you tried melatonin, magnesium or niacin