We were waiting for word about when to take the rig back to the dealer for the repairs.
Well, on Wednesday the dealer called Len. They wanted to know if we were ready for them to ORDER the parts yet!!! WHAT???? We took the rig to them almost 4 weeks ago. They kept it for five days to determine what needed to be done. When we picked it up they requested a deposit before ordering the parts. We gave them $500 which is the amount of our deductible. (The check has been cashed.)
The insurance company, National Interstate, has been great to work with. We already have the check for the repairs. Our claims adjuster has kept us informed every step of the way. So why didn't the dealer order the repairs? They said they were waiting for our okay. Come on now, the insurance company agreed to payment, we gave them $500. We told them again and again we live in this unit and are anxious to get back on the road. What more did they need.
So now they say it will take at least four weeks to get the parts in. Once the parts arrive, THEN they will put us on their schedule. This being summer and their busy time, it could take a while.
Looks like our goal of leaving August 1 might not be feasible. I suppose that is okay. Our first commitment is not until a NOMADS project starts on September 13 in Hayesville, NC.
On a good note - Since we were stuck here in NJ, Len starting working for a temp agency. They gave him a job that he worked for 2 weeks. They were only giving him about 32 hours a week. The job was 22 miles away.
Then my former employer called and needed a truck driver to shuttle loads for 6-8 weeks. Their driver was having surgery. Perfect! Len stated working for them last week. A dollar more an hour plus only 3 miles from the house with 10 hour days and work every other Saturday.
Len retired from NJ Dept of Corrections in January and because he left voluntarily he is not eligible for unemployment insurance. However, once re-employed and he earns 6x his weekly benefit and gets laid off he is eligible to collect. His weekly benefit is $600. He will easily earn the $3,600 before the job ends and he is laid off.
Bottom line - aggravated about the delay in repairs to fifthwheel. Thankful for the earning opportunity for Len as we have had many, many unexpected costs come up the last few months. It is all a balancing act. It will all work out for the best.
First Full Day and Getting Settled
13 hours ago