January 20 to February 14, 2014 NOMADS Project, Mercedes, MS

February 15 (Approximately) to June - Gate Guarding, TX or LA.

June, 2014 - Up to Alaska!

September - NOMADS Annual Meeting, Branson, MO



Thursday, January 24, 2013

Got me some new teeth!

Mercedes,  TX

Back in the last century when I was in my 20's I had a front tooth abcess that had to be pulled.  Since then I've worn a top partial which included some back molars.

Only one day after leaving NJ on January 2, I noticed something that felt like a celery string or something similar on my partial plate.     I took the plate out and it broke in two, the back teeth falling off.  What I was feeling was a crack in the partial.

When we got to Alabama I bought some stuff at Walgreens in an attempt to glue it back together.  Did not work.   So I found a dentist who at first said they would repair it but then after seeing I had used adhesive on it said they would not be able to help me.  A new plate would take weeks to make and we were leaving in a week.

For the next couple of weeks I was front toothless and felt so very self-conscious about it.   But about a week ago I put the part of the partial back in with the front tooth and wore it when in public.   But it never felt secure.  I needed to do something.

Before we got here I told Leonard about lots of people getting dental work done in Mexico.  He said absolutely not.    But when we arrived on Friday I asked our contact at the church where they went for dental work.   MEXICO!

Buddy, from the church, volunteered to take us over, being only about 10 miles away.  We parked on the US side and crossed the bridge to Progreso, Mexico.   We went to a dentist who was recommended.   I was glad for a recomendation because this area is chock full of dental offices and pharmacies.

A young woman dentist saw me right away and got to work on taking inprints, etc.  She said the plate would be done today.    Cost of the plate and a cleaning was $520.00.   I know I would have paid a heck of a lot more back in NJ or anywhere else in the states.

So this morning we went back for my dentures.  I am very pleased with them.  They fit great and look better than the ones I had before.

I am glad we were a little adventerous!  

11 comments:

where's weaver said...

So happy for you Phyllis. I'm glad all worked out. Hopefully Leonard now has a bit more faith in going to Mexico.

MargieAnne said...

Life is full of adventures. I've been reading about the dental trips to Mexico and wondering about it for myself. We have subsidised medical but not dentistry and it's horrifically expensive and way out of our pocket to have anything more than essential work done. I have horrible big fillings and a partial plate similar to what you describe. It falls out when I laugh too heartily. *haha*

Maybe if we get to come over in 2014 I will put Mexico and dental treatment on our places to go list.

I've left a reply to you comment on my last poast.
Blessings.

Kenny And Angela's Adventure said...

Glad to hear it worked out for you.

Carol Kerr said...

That's great news Phyllis! I'll need to get the name of the dentist you saw since it looks likely we will be in this area for a while. Looking forward to meeting up.

Chuck and Anneke's RV travels said...

Glad it worked out so well. I have read that many folks have had good luck with the dental work south of the border.

Donna K said...

So glad you were able to get the work done to your satisfaction. I sure hear more good stories than bad about dental work in Mexico. Thanks for writing about your experience.

Rick said...

Great news, Phyllis. Glad things went well.

JO said...

Great news and so happy all worked out for you. I know lots of people who go to Mexico for dental work.

owensontheroad said...

Glad to hear the Mexico experience went well. I've heard so many people have trusted in the dentists there. Bet you feel better too!

Travels with Emma said...

Always nice to have a recommendation of which dentist to see.

Anonymous said...

Hello, always i used to check web site posts here early in the morning, as i
love to gain knowledge of more and more.
Here is my site - motivational speakers South Africa