Upper Deerfield Twp, NJ
We spent some time yesterday trying to buy two new tires. No luck. All area RV dealers and tire dealers were closed where we were staying at the job site of Dave and Betty Barnes.
But on the upside, we got to spend some time with these dear people. For dinner Betty fired up the grill. Chicken, corn on the cob and bison burgers with potato salad and not-so-good purchased coconut custard pie.
Betty and Dave have made a lovely home at their job site.
Even planting a variety of tomatoes.
On Saturday we had been given a name of a local tire dealer when we stopped at a truck stop close to where Betty and Dave are staying. We also had gathered other numbers in case this one did not pan out. Len called the dealer a few minutes after 8 this morning.. The owner said he thought he had two tires like we needed in stock and would check and call us back. He called a few minues later and did have them. We immediately drove the 7 miles to get those tires. They are Coopers and hopefully much better than what we were sold in New Mexico.
Many commentors have inquired what kind of tires we had that blew. They are Hi-Run and made in Beijing China. I did a Google search and we are far from the only people who have had problems with these pieces of junk. As I said on my last blog, we were having problems with the original tires that Montana installed. All four were replaced early this year. Two in January and these two gems in March. We were in Tucumcari, NM and Jacks Truck Repair was the only source of trailer tires we could find.
Some comments also reminded us to check the dates on the tires. We were aware of that and these tires were manufactured in late 2010. They are unsafe even if brand new. I keep a record of miles traveled when towing. We had 5,570 miles on them when the first one exploded. The second one was about 80 miles later. I've read reports where they blew with only 4,000 miles.
We left Betty and Dave this morning feeling safer with our new tires. We arrived back here safely at my daughters in South Jersey about 2:00. I've contacted the insurance company. We had already made arrangements to take the rig to the shop on Thursday for warranty work. Len contacted the shop, which is over in Delaware, notifying them of this additional curve.
We have settled down somewhat. We are taking it easy. Will spend our time here visiting friends and family and then once we get all work done, decide where we head next.
Thank you again for your hospitality and generosity, Betty and Dave!
Back at Chewacla
23 hours ago